Update: Since this post was created, it would appear that ChatGPT has made it impossible to analyse reviews from a URL. You can still copy and paste reviews for it to summarise.
I am sure just about everyone has heard of ChatGPT. Many have also given it a quickly go and been amazed with what it can do. Having said that, exactly how practical is it for work purposes?
If you do know ChatGPT, please go to the bottom of this article to get the AI created introduction:
Well, if you're an e-commerce manager, shopping marketing manager, or brand manager, there's a practical application of ChatGPT that you can use today to get fresh insights into customer reviews of your products on Amazon. By using ChatGPT to summarize the reviews, you can quickly and easily gain valuable insights that can help you make informed decisions about your products and marketing strategies.
If you want to summarise the reviews for a product on Amazon, first you need to get a ChatGPT account. See below for the links. Once you have logged in it is just a simple matter of entering the prompts as outlined below and "Hey Presto" you have your summary:
Here is an example of the output for a L'Oreal shower gel using this exact prompt: Can you analyse all the shopper reviews found under this search please?
ChatGPT will respond to this with "Of course! Please provide me with the name or a specific link to the product you would like me to analyze, and I'll be happy to provide an analysis of its ratings and reviews."
Then input the URL you are interested in, such as this one: Product link on Amazon
The ChatGPT output is as follows:
Based on the Amazon UK page for L'Oreal Expert Total Clean Shower, here is an analysis of the product's ratings and reviews:
- The product has an overall rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars, based on 548 ratings.
- Many customers appreciate the convenience of being able to use this product in the shower for an all-in-one hair and body wash.
- Customers also appreciate the fresh, clean scent of the product.
- Some customers note that it leaves their hair feeling clean and soft, without weighing it down.
- Some customers feel that the product is too expensive for the amount provided.
- A few customers note that the product can be drying to the skin and hair, particularly with frequent use.
- A small number of customers find the scent overpowering or unpleasant.
- Many customers appreciate the convenience and time-saving aspect of an all-in-one hair and body wash.
- Customers have varying opinions on the scent, with some finding it pleasant and others finding it overpowering.
- There are mixed reviews on the effectiveness of the product for different hair and skin types.
- The vast majority of reviews for this product are verified purchases, indicating that the reviewers have actually purchased and used the product.
Overall, the product has a high rating, with many customers appreciating the convenience and effectiveness of the product. However, there are some mixed reviews on the effectiveness for different hair and skin types, as well as the cost and potential drying effects.
NB If you put the link and the request together, ChatGPT rejects this, I think because it has been programmed to do so, but splitting the question and the URL ChatGPT seems only too happy to go ahead.
Here is another example, this time for the prompt you just need to put in the product name and it defaults to Amazon:
Prompt: Can you analyze the ratings and reviews for this product: Wagg Complete Puppy Chicken Dry Dog Food 12kg based on the product page on Amazon UK:
Certainly, I can analyze the ratings and reviews for Wagg Complete Puppy Chicken Dry Dog Food 12kg based on the product page on Amazon UK:
- The product has an overall rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars, based on 7,379 ratings.
- Many customers praise the product for its value for money, noting that it is affordable and provides good nutrition for their puppies.
- Customers appreciate the fact that the product is made with natural ingredients and does not contain any artificial colors or flavors.
- Many customers report that their puppies enjoy the taste of the food and that it has helped them to grow and develop in a healthy way.
- Some customers have reported that their puppies experienced digestive issues, such as diarrhea or vomiting, after eating the food.
- A few customers note that the kibble size may not be suitable for very small puppies.
- Many customers appreciate the value for money that the product offers, as well as the fact that it is made with natural ingredients and does not contain any artificial colors or flavors.
- Some customers have reported digestive issues in their puppies after feeding them the food.
- The majority of reviews for this product are verified purchases, indicating that the reviewers have actually purchased and fed the product to their puppies.
Overall, the product has a high rating, with many customers praising its value for money and natural ingredients. However, there are some mixed reviews on the potential for digestive issues in puppies, so it is important to monitor your puppy's reaction to the food when introducing it to their diet.
These sorts of "party tricks" are great, and if you don't know product, like a shopper might not, then they are a great way of getting a summary of the reviews. From a professional perspective, they might work well for:
- Quickly checking the reviews on sites you are not familiar with
- Checking reviews on the competitor products
- Making quick comparisons between products
I asked ChatGPT what its limitations were when it comes to analyzing ratings & reviews on Amazon:
As an AI language model, ChatGPT is capable of analyzing product ratings and reviews on Amazon to a certain extent. However, there are certain limitations to what it can do, including:
Contextual understanding: While ChatGPT can understand the meaning of individual words and phrases, it may not always be able to understand the full context of a review or rating. This can result in misinterpretation or misunderstanding of the sentiment expressed in a review.
Personal biases: ChatGPT may not be able to completely eliminate personal biases that may be present in the reviews it analyzes. For example, if a product has a large number of negative reviews from people who had a bad experience with the product, ChatGPT may be biased towards negative sentiment.
Limited understanding of product features: ChatGPT may not have a complete understanding of the features and specifications of the products being reviewed. This can limit its ability to provide insights on specific aspects of the product that may be important to consumers.
Inability to analyze non-textual data: While ChatGPT can analyze text-based reviews, it may not be able to analyze non-textual data such as images or videos, which can be important in understanding product reviews.
Overall, while ChatGPT can provide valuable insights into product ratings and reviews on Amazon, it is important to keep in mind its limitations and not solely rely on its analysis.
Wise words from ChatGPT there. It is probably fine for a quick top-line summary but these observations are too shallow to be of genuine use to professional e-commerce leaders and brand marketing managers. To get to a greater depth you need to go deeper and combine Machine Learning and professional analysts to get to sift the genuine insights (ie new truths, not topline regurgitations).
I asked ChatGPT this question "Can ChatGPT come up with genuinely new ideas or does it bring together everything it has learnt from the internet?"
ChatGPT is capable of generating new and unique ideas based on the patterns and relationships it has learned from the vast amounts of text data it has been trained on. While it is true that ChatGPT's responses are based on its training data and the information it has gathered from the internet, it can use this information in innovative and creative ways to generate new ideas and perspectives.
However, it's important to note that ChatGPT's output is influenced by its training data and the biases that may be present in that data. Additionally, while ChatGPT can generate new ideas, it may not always produce ideas that are entirely original or entirely feasible.
This is where companies like CheckoutSmart come in. We know about ratings & reviews (just check through our other Blog posts). We are experts in their creation, reporting and analysis. Yes, ChatGPT is very clever, but it does not have the experience of what it cannot read on the internet (yet). We have that unique and valuable experience and we can share it with you.
If you want to know more about ratings and reviews and how we can help you understand, interpret and generate genuine ratings and reviews for your brands, then please do
(This form will put in you touch with a real person!).
ChatGPT is a large language model developed by OpenAI based on the GPT-3.5 architecture, which allows it to understand and generate natural language text. As an AI language model, ChatGPT can assist users with a wide range of tasks, from answering questions and generating text to performing language translations and providing suggestions.
To use ChatGPT, you can simply start typing your question or query into the text box on the OpenAI website, where you'll see the "Ask ChatGPT" prompt. Alternatively, you can interact with ChatGPT through various platforms and tools that have integrated with it, such as chatbots, mobile apps, and voice assistants.
Here are some links that you might find helpful to get started with ChatGPT:
- OpenAI website: https://openai.com/
- OpenAI API documentation: https://beta.openai.com/docs/api-reference/introduction
Additionally, if you're interested in learning more about how to use ChatGPT or how it works, there are plenty of online resources and tutorials available, such as video tutorials on YouTube, blog posts, and forums where you can connect with other users and developers.
I would point out that you do need to be careful what you enter into ChatGPT - it does not really forget anything unless you delete your account.